Thursday 29 November 2007

Seeing the dead for the first time

When you have a weird job like me, it creates some interesting reactions from people. Some run over the hills and far away, others ask if I am sure I'm not "a medium, not a small?" (hilarious!), but most, are curious and ask "how did you know you were a medium?".

My wonderful Welsh Grand-Parents (maternal) were psychic, my Grand-Father was a Phrenologist - he read the bumps on people's heads - and my Grand-Mother was a Medium. When they arrived from the valleys, I was so excited. Violet made my childhood magical, her battered white suitcase contained two fairies from the forest - but they were very shy and I was not allowed to peek. As a child you can imagine the overwhelming urge, but I never did.

When her original ivory Ouija board came out, I watched with amazement as my mother and her friends had their questions answered by a spirit through the planchette. On reflection, I can't imagine allowing my children to witness something like this, let alone be present in the house, but that was then.

Sadly, Violet died on Mother's Day when I was 21, but before she left she told me that I would inherit her gift.

Fast forward to the year 2000, living in London, and looking and feeling something that resembled a beached whale, aka six months pregnant. It was the weekly girls get together with some close friends, Sarah had been to see a clairvoyant and was relaying her fore-told fortune. "My grand mother was a psychic” I piped up. “God, you kept that quiet, come on then, try it out on us”? I found myself saying “why not”?

I knew nothing about palms, but as I looked down at each one, pictures started to form in my head. I described what I was seeing, and was met with gasps of disbelief and comments like “I have never told you that before” and “how do you know that”?

I wasn’t sure if I liked this, I had previously miscarried, what if I “saw” something terrible happening to my unborn baby? I played devils advocate and kept telling myself it was a fluke, but unlike the fairies my curiosity had developed over the years. The following night, back in my kitchen, my Argentine au pair and all her friends were chatting.

Explaining what had happened the night before, I experimented on them this time. It was slightly more complicated as Florence was the only one who spoke fluent English, so she translated for me. I am still mastering the English language, so forget Spanish, but for some inexplicable reason I felt compelled to say words with no clue of their meaning. They did understand though, and there was that chorus of gasps again!

Something was definitely up, a week later Emma knocked on my door, waving a piece of paper under my nose. The headline read “Do You Think You Are Psychic”?, below there were a list of questions. Do you think about someone and then they suddenly phone out of the blue? Do you have a premonition about someone or something, and then it happens? Do you instantly know when to trust or not trust someone, and your instinct turns out to be right? “Come to our ten week psychic development course and discover your psychic potential. Coincidence? I now know there is such thing.

Heidi Sawyer was nothing like I expected a psychic teacher to be. There was no a stitch of crushed velvet, and no hooped earrings. I had been promised that despite my fears of getting involved in the Spirit World, all would be fine for me and my unborn child and in fact the baby would love the meditation. And she did, for two hours every Thursday night she seemed totally relaxed and my constant nausea disappeared during the classes.

Right from the start I was able to see auras, which for those of you who don’t know, are our energy field around us, suddenly I felt I was in a constant commercial for Ready Break as I started to look at everyone in a new light - literally!

By week four I had an incredible moment, and I knew at that point, my life was about to change for ever. Upon opening my eyes, after a meditation, I noticed that there were more people, than when we started! Between two of my fellow students, sat the most beautiful black woman, dressed in a rainbow of colours. Her long tunic glowed in oranges, reds and yellows and she wore a large turban on her head to match. This amazing vision projected an incredible smile, I felt nothing but love. To the left, stood an enormous white apparition with less clarity but I believe it was an angel as there was a sense of safety and wisdom surrounding me.

Finally, I had proof that there was life after death.

6 comments:

gateway1 said...

Why are you remembering the beginning right now? Look at the simple to grasp the complex.

Emerge and See. said...

I am not remembering the beginning, I had an e mail from someone who asked me to write about it. Look at what simple to grasp what complex? Please explain.

Unknown said...

not only do I believe you are great at what you do, but having read your blog, you are a great writer too...keep it up..it is great reading..well done Lizzie xx

gateway1 said...

Someone asked you to write about it, bringing the time back into the now. Things like this happen for a reason. Just because the message came from the living does not lessen the point of the now.
Was it the real time it began or was it the first time you were forced to embrace it?
In honestly looking back, what emotions and fears and doubts were they asking you to reassess, what understanding is the gift from those days and what has been always there?
Look to the future and your plans, are they asking you to empathises with those that soon will walk into your life and in that empathy realise how far you have actually walked in this life?
Look at all the whirlwinds of the past couple of years and ask yourself a simple question, in all of this complexity of my life, what has really changed?
Face that question and you will grasp the simple from the past couple of years.
In all of the teaching coming, do not forget to stretch yourself as well.

LOL you should know from the past phone calls we have shared,
in passing of the message it takes time for somethings to be understood.

Emerge and See. said...

Now I know who you are!

I have learnt many lessons in the last few years, in fact the last year was the hardest pill to swallow. I have realised that I was being tested on every level and everything I did was far too human and I let my faith in spirituality slip big time.

Things have changed now and I have been working so hard at moving out of that zone. It's still hard to forgive some people but I know the end that the only way kharma can take place is if I let go.

I feel sure that the stuff that's happened to me in the last few weeks (all positive) is preparing me for something really exciting next year. But you know I would love to hear what you think. x

gateway1 said...

you trust nothing, you believe nothing, for you have seen the traps and baits set before.

the white stag knew it was his last run, so with a toss of his head, the moss and dead leaves fell from the antlers.
To fall or live was not the important thing now, but to run and meet all as he had lived.
The dogs howled, the hunters roared, the stags started to run...

the silent forest felt the thundering footsteps,
the very earth began to beat in time,

silent watchers felt the energy grow within,
filling each heart with the desire to run,
slowly the storm of life took hold of the forest.

Thundering past the white stag shouted to the watchers..

"Dare you run?"

knowing the arrows and knives were waiting,
knowing the nets were spread,
knowing the deafness of the hunters,
knowing the blindness of the hungry,
yet life beat in his hooves
the sky filled his heart
for the way was forward

and with the roar of belief in tomorrow
he ran towards what must be.

And still the air echoed with his cry...
"dare you run with me?"

daring all we ran,
the world turned beneath our feet,
for the turning left behind what was and brought what will be closer

not waiting to be followed,
not waiting to hear the replies,
not waiting for the fire to take hold,
not waiting for the questions asked,

for now the race was on.

and so many have already fallen.


Like ghosts they keep running,
unaware of there own death,
soulless and sightless, they live on.

The feet of their leaving,
the earth shakes, the universe shifts,
but the stag keeps on running,
for the dawn will not wait.

Without turning, he senses those that follow,
the numbers are few,
yet their fire burns the morning dew,
and the wind she takes the tears for those fallen.

The dawn is rising,
a storm of awakening following it's edge
he feels the stuttering of once sure feet,
so with a roar he dives deep into the forest,
to remind them of what they once faced.

In the fast shadows of wood and bramble,
memories flash of past and lessons on going,
crashing into glades of clarity,
yet still they had to keep running.

He senses the time is slipping,
he knows the hunters are waiting,
for this is what he has shown them,
this race is now their own.

For scattered now lies the herds,
new growth fills the trees,
time for the run off the mountain,
the call of the gathering.

For the storm is coming,
the dawn will break,
and on the wings of the storm,
the hunters will be faced.

Dreams,ghosts and oven gloves..all has changed and yet nothing has changed. Good luck bad luck positive and negative, can you truly know which is which and for what purpose they serve?
Energy is energy, the rest is a personal perception of a moment.

In the coming year, don't get lost in the moments and look for the truth within each paradox for the pupil will become the teacher for a while.

Will email you if any more comes through which I have a feeling it will do.

Look at the old house and find the tree which is now old and remember how it felt when it was a sapling