Monday 10 March 2008

There are no shops at the cemetery

As I got into bed last night, I heard a woman's voice outside on the street, she was calling repeatedly to someone in a car. I went to the window and as I looked down I saw it was my neighbour opposite, very distressed. I opened the window and asked her if she was OK, "I think my husband is dead" she said. Another neighbour and friend came out and asked me to get an ambulance.

Dialling 999, I rushed downstairs and my eldest son and I went across the road to help. Albert was slumped in the driver's seat and completely motionless. I knew a male nurse lived a few doors away and woke him and asked him to help.

John lifted Albert out of the car and placed him on his living room floor, with direction via me he began CPR. My son made sweet tea, and I held his wife's hand with one hand and the phone in the other.

The paramedics arrived and every attempt was made to bring this lovely 82 year old back to this earth. I tried to tune in to him, asking him to come back, but was unable to do so. He had driven his wife from France yesterday, and just as he had pulled up outside the house, while his wife had gone to put the lights on...... it was his time to go.

Albert lay on his sitting room floor for around three hours in total, he seemed so peaceful. Seconds after the medical team pronounced his death, I watched him float just above my head.

Yesterday, my oldest friend Samantha and I were discussing people who ignore the things that matter in life, ie love of course.

"There are no shops at the cemetery" she pointed out. At the time, I thought it was a hilarious comment, and so bloody true. But as I stared at Albert on the floor last night, I was sharply reminded of how delicate life is. You never know when it is your time, and the only thing that mattered to him at the end, was his wife and soul mate of 53 years.

Albert wont be shopping today, he won't be looking for a pat on the back from someone, it doesn't matter to him now what he did for a living, what mistakes he might of made, what his surrounding were. All that matters is that he was loved and he loved. Because love is an energy and we are an energy, so that's all we can take with us when we die.

RIP

No comments: