Friday 12 October 2007


Have you ever had that feeling that someone is watching you? It's weird isn't it? How do we know that, even if they are behind us? The other day, I was in a cafe talking to a client and there it was, that sense that someone was staring at me. As I panned the room, still talking, someone, let's just say an angry acquaintance, was leaning against the Cafe Nero counter in the queue. Arms folded, giving me "the evils" as my teenage son would say.

And it happened again today, but this time it was a ghost! Nothing odd about that, bearing in mind I am a medium. Actually, it is nearly seven years since I saw my first fully formed spirit. A moment so incredible, in one instant my fear of dying dissolved as finally I saw proof of life after death.

Halloween is approaching, my favourite time of the year - naturally. Forget the broomsticks and pumpkins. According to many ancient cultures this is a liminal time of year, when spirits make contact with the physical world. Or to put it another way the "veil" is thinner between us and the other side, so if you want to see something paranormal, now is a good time.

I have seen many visitors from the other side but recall two occasions when I have mistaken very solid looking spiritual beings for physical ones. The first was in our house in London. I went to retrieve my daughter's push chair from our dining room (well you didn't expect us to use it for eating did you?), as we were on our way to terrorise the neighbours trick or treating. Conscious of the army of green faced 4 year olds ready to scare the residents of Kirkstall Road, I raced in to the room to retrieve the buggy, when I saw a man casually leaning against a cupboard. Since he was dressed in what looked like 20th century clothes, I presumed he was a father to one of the weapons of mass distraction waiting by the front door. Making some throw away remark, I reversed the pram out and strapped Louisa in and then it dawned on me, " who was that?" Seconds later I walked back in and yes you've guessed it, nobody there!

A year later, we had moved to Suffolk and I am doing the country thing, you know, bringing logs in for the fire, obviously to impress our friends from London for the weekend. I could have sworn Mark was standing in our kitchen by the kettle as I lugged the heavy load through to the fireplace. "If you are making tea I would love one" I yelled as I hurried through. I suppose he could have beeen a member of the Star Ship Enterprise and had beamed himself to the sitting room or I had just been talking to dead people again. Because there was Mark and his wife on the sofa , and there by my feet were the logs as I darted back to the kitchen to see who I had spoken to. Once again, nothing, and they hadn't even made my tea!

Today, sitting in front of laptop laboriously filling in data, out of the corner of my eye I notice someone is watching me and then hiding, but thankfully no "evils". This house is 500 years old, and this is my first All Hallows Eve here. I am hoping my new friend will sit down and tell me all about it soon. He has already snapped a wire on the back of a picture and keeps moving about upstairs, so it's looking promising. Am I mad? Probably, but they are just people who are earth bound in my opinion, and they just want to make contact.

So, if you would like to see something out of this world, ask, stay calm and wait. Get your cameras out and take pictures, most aren't camera shy. Don't be frightened, isn't it wonderful to know that there is more to life than just our day to day lives?

2 comments:

barb said...

I was impressed when you got the logs in. Loving the blog x

harpercat said...

"A moment so incredible, in one instant my fear of dying dissolved as finally I saw proof of life after death."

I love those words, you've put it so beautifully. It is a lot more years since I saw my one (and thus far only) full manifestation of a lady in spirit form and that wonderfully serene and lovely experienced changed my life forever.