Thursday 7 February 2008

Starting Young

Some people feel children are very psychic and I genuinely believe that when children are talking about past lives, imaginary friends and "hearing and seeing" things in the night, they are.

I lived in a very haunted Old Rectory as a little girl, not that it bothered me. At bed time, I would stuff all my teddies and dolls into bed with me, it was a miracle there was enough space for me! When I was around 5 years old, I remember being woken by the sound of a small bell. As I sat up in bed, still sleepy, I remember the whole of my bedroom being filled with light, a beautiful white warm glow.

As I looked down at the floor, I noticed that all my beloved toys were sitting in a circle in the floor, and apart from me,my bed was empty. For some strange reason, I wasn't frightened, although I did feel I was not supposed to see what was happening.

My 10 year old son, went on holiday to Italy two summers ago, with a school friend. I recently caught up with the mother who had invited him. She is also very spiritual, an amazing person, and she told me about an incident that had happened out there.

It was during the day, and suddenly my son had come rushing through, in a terrible state, she described him as "hysterical". Shaking, he told her that there was a man staring at him in the hall of the villa sitting on a chair.

The mother went to investigate, and although she saw no one there, it was clear that my son was looking at something. "He has told me the time has come" he told her. She took my son's hand and they both went back into the other room, she calmed him down, told him that they were both going to go back and speak to the man and ask him to leave because he was frightening my son.

Gingerly, he took her hand and they both went back into the hall. She called to what appeared to be an empty chair, and she asked the "spirit" to please leave. "He's gone!" my little boy said, and according to my friend, he immediately relaxed.

I am so grateful that my friend had the insight not to treat this flipantly, she had shown total repect to what my son was seeing. To tell a child not to be silly, "there's nothing there", is just conditioning the growing mind. Children are free spirits and if they grow up trusting their own insticts, instead of believing everything everyone else tells them, it will help them to make the bigger decisions later in life. They will learn to follow their heart not their head.

No comments: